Sunday, May 15, 2011

Twenty Thousand

My weekend home started off grand, let me tell you. Ashlynn and I arrived home around 9:00 p.m., Thursday night. She was inevitably tired from the zoo trip with her school mates and the drive home. It was incredibly hot, we did a lot of walking and keeping up with 14 kindergarteners- made for an exhausting day! She went straight to bed, and I followed, not far behind her. As I walked on "my side" of the bed, my socks became wet. I felt around the carpet, to find that about 1/4 of our carpet was wet, and mildewed. Great- huh? I guess that sometime during the storms, our window in the master bed room had a leak, and not a minor one. Thanks to Nick Robertson for saving me! He came right over and duct- taped my window up before it rained again!! With a couple of handy-men to the rescue (I feel bad that I don't know the one gentleman's name, but the other was Danny Burnett), my window is now fixed. My carpet had to be pulled up and dried out, and I bleached the heck out of the floor. Hopefully, when I venture home, later this week, the horrid smell will be gone! I have high hopes!

Friday, was a crazy day of getting haircuts and taking care of some other business. It was good. It was also the day of the fish fry that was held on behalf of Daniel and our lovely family. I admit, I was a little nervous going into the event. It seems like everyone wants to ask me "How are you doing". I always want to say- "Do you want the absolute truth, or the made-up answer?". My real answer to that question is- "How do you really think that I am doing?". But usually, I answer with the " Most of the time, I am good, but I have my moments". I am telling you- it is scripted-without a doubt. I am sorry that I give that answer, it is much easier. So, why was I nervous? Well, everyone wants to know about Daniel. He truly is a CHAMPION! I know that I say this everytime. Truthfully, his spirit, helps me. Me, by myself, I am pitiful. But, with Daniel, I am much stronger. We are stronger, together. Anyway, I am truly amazed at the love and support that was shown for us Friday Night. I know that there are many people that I never even got a chance to talk to- if you are oone of those, I am sorry. I tried.... There were so many people there! Unbelievable! I know that Daniel would have been so surprised. He couldn't get a hold of the guest book fast enough! I want to thank everyone that organized and worked the event, the contributers of the food, Pleasentview Baptist Church, and most importantly, the people that attended the event. Y'all know how to BRING IT! Seriously, I am so amazed at the magic that occured Friday night. Drum roll please.... $20,000 dollers were raised!

The kids... oh, how they needed their momma this weekend. Avery was like a leech in bed. Ashlynn, just needed her momma, and Mia, she needed to be rocked... quite often. I needed the weekend with my girls! Sure, we were incredibly busy... we also fit in a babyshower and a trip to Wal-Mart in the weekend. We were wicked busy, but, it was so nice. It is always tough for me to continually answer the question of "When is Daddy coming home". I still have not figured out the appropriate answer to that question. I am working on it. Home sure wasn't the same without Daniel. Maybe, it was a good thing that we weren't there much. The television wasn't even turned on. Packing the bags for the girls, was tough. I never dreamed that I would be in this situation, and I am trying to make it the most "normal" that it can be. Does that make sense? I battled a lot of melt downs from Avery this weekend, and I didn't have the energy to fight her. So, there was a lot of giving in to that child. Ashlynn, found a fish carcas (spelling?) in the fish tank. So, that was fun. She loves her animals. She is going to be a crazy cat lady some day- I promise. The fish were the relapcements to the many rabbits, that we couldn't keep alive. After 3, we decided that rabbits just weren't our thing. She had a major melt-down. By Saturday, my sleepless nights, non-existent appetite, and exhaustion had caught up to me. I had zero energy!

My drive to St.Louis was good. I was able to wind-down, catch my breath and relax a little.

Room 6937, still looks the same, smells the same, has a few more greeting cards added to it, and one thing missing- the chemo bag on his IV pole! Oh yeah! Daniel was walking laps when I reached the sixth floor. 13 Completed, today! He looks really good today. Before treatment, they told us that today, would be one of the worst days for him. Truthfully, he is stirring around better than I have seen him since before I left for NYC. He had a visit from a few good folks today and didn't even take a nap- today, was a good day! Thursday, is bone marrow biopsy day, so please continue to keep Daniel in your thoughts and prayers this week!

I have a graduation to attend on Thursday- Ashlynn's Kindergarten Graduation. Hard to believe- right? It sure doesn't seem right. I am sad that her Daddy will not be there to witness it. I most definitely will be videoing it for him to watch. Until tomorrow, XOXOXO from room 6937.

2 comments:

  1. Kristen, So good to hear Daniel is doing well. Bro. Mark made the comment this morning in church that this was the largest fund raiser that we had ever had. I lost count but we cooked somewhere between 3 and 400 pounds of fish. This community loves the Presley family because they would be doing the exact same thing for us if roles were reversed. Tell Daniel God Speed.

    ReplyDelete