Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Looking Up

I know, it has been a while, right? The girls made a short trip to St. Louis for the weekend with my in-laws. Saturday, we crammed the Magic House, swimming, and most importantly, spending quality time with Daddy in to the day. Whew.... Sunday, after a short visit at the hospital, I loaded Ashlynn and Mia up and we headed home. Avery, rode back with Erin and Jarrod. She wanted to visit Daniel a while longer. We tried to get Avery to cut her Daddy's hair- it didn't work. That being said, Daniel finally bit the bullet and shaved his head, after we left. He is sporting the bald guy look! I, am still at home, finishing up a few things before I head back in the morning. Last night, the girls had a gymnastics program. So proud of them! Afterwards, I was talking about Daniel to Ashlynn's coach and her husband.  Ironically, a lady approached me, told me her name and said "My family has been praying for your husband, and so has my church's congregation".  I had never met this lady before last night. All that she had to hear was the name Daniel, and a tid-bit of my conversation, and she knew. My heart is so touched by all of the "new" friends that we have made!

Grateful- is how I describe our family right now! We are so grateful to have such good family members, and friends. Thank you for all that you have done for our family- wether it be spiritually, providing meals to nourish my children, the emails, text messages, phone calls, greeting cards, and any other forms of offerings. Thank you for taking care of us, when we couldn't do it ourselves!

On to the news- I am sure that most of you already know, but, Daniel recieved wonderful news from his doctor last night. Preliminary results indicate that the treatment worked. So, what happens now? The truth is... I can't really tell you. I do know this: before the last bone marrow test (last Thursday), the doctor mentioned that if the test came back good, they would continue to let Daniel's blood counts get higher, repeat the bone marrow, and possibly, he might get to come home. They thought that it would take approximately 10 days for the counts to be where that they needed to be. At that point, they would discuss discharge information. I do know that there will be, what they call, "maintenance chemo", which will be smaller chemo treatments (possibly 3-5 days), until the actual bone marrow transplant. Those treatments will be completed in the hospital at Barnes. Daniel will have to stay during that time, but, most likely, not any longer.

A break, Daniel needs a break. He deserves a break! Looking back to April 30, when we found out the diagnosis, I can rememer talking to Daniel on the phone. I asked him what he thought about the "situation". The one thing that he told me was that it was going to be OK! You know what? He tells me that every single time that I talk to him. I know that the last month has been hard on Daniel, and the whole entire family. But, I can honestly say, as his wife, I am a much stronger person. He is a stronger person. I am positive, that his parents, and sister are stronger people. The rest of the family- stronger, friends- definitely stronger! We have all helped him fight this battle (sometimes, wishing we were fighting it for him). Without the love, prayers, strength, motivation and tenacity, we may not be where we are today. Daniel, is BRAVE! So, today, I want each and everyone of you to send him an email, text, or call him, and tell him CONGRATULATIONS. This man deserves it! I am sure that he would love it! Enjoy your day. XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment