Tuesday, May 3, 2011

On Leukemia

Our journey begins April 1st (I believe). Daniel had been doing some yard work and Began to complain of his calf muscle hurting. After 2 weeks,I begged him to go to my Family practitioner, who I believe is great. He decided to try a local doctor and received some Mede and was sent on his way. Shortly after the pain resided... his back and chest began to be sore. Again, he was stubborn. Within the last two weeks he began to complain of shortness of breath. I had planned a trip to New York City with one of my very good friends. Other than work related trips, this would be my first ever trip away from my family. I was completely worried as to how Daniel was going to handle me being gone for almost 6 days. But anyone who knows the dynamics of our family, knows that Daniel is an excellent father to his 3 baby girls! I had the clothes organized and ironed and I knew that on Thursday my mother would be there to help, not to mention that I have a wonderful set of in-laws who help out as well.

Tuesday morning, I hurried out the door, as I do most mornings, and hugged and kissed Daniel and the girls good-bye. This was the last time that I would see them until Sunday because I was flying out early Wednesday. At this point, he thought that he probably had an ear infection. Thursday morning, he decided that he was I'll enough that he should go to the doctor. He had an appointment at 9 a.m. He mentioned that he was going to ask for a full blood work up (you see, we are pretty health conscious people), as he wanted to check his cholesterol and other stuff. He was diagnosed with strep throat, and his blood levels seemed way out of whack. He was told to come back in 2 weeks. So, home he went. He couldn't get out of bed and passed out a few times during the next 2 days. Saturday afternoon, he decided with the help of his sister (she always has a good intuition) that he should maybe go to the emergency room. His mom loaded him up and off he was! Meantime, Lana and I were wrapping up our New stork adventure (I'll be posting pictures of the trip later). It was in the Southeast Hospital emergency room our life completely changed. Daniel, my husband, my solid rock, the man that for me, was love at first sight, was diagnosed with leukemia. As you can imagine, I was numb, crushed and more than anything, I wanted to be with him. I know that he needed me. Can you imagine what it is like to be that far away, and not be able to get home for around 12 hours? I was breathless! Daniel was then on his way to Barnes Jewish Hospital via ambulance. I boarded a plane at 7 am (New York time).

They did a variety of tests, of which it was confirmed, he has Acute Myeloid Leukemia. I admit, I still feel like I am sitting in the dark, waiting on the numbness and edginess to wear off. It still hasn't. Tears come and go, constantly. Daniel had his bone marrow biopsy yesterday. As I write this, we are waiting on the dr to come by and deliver the preliminary test results. Other results will be available in 2 weeks. My stomach is just churning. For all of you wondering, I have been checking my blood pressure, and it is ok. I still can't find words, and I am trying to update everyone. I want to thank all of our incredible friends and family who send basket after basket of goodies for us and our family, trying to make us smile. I am struggling with words, especially with Daniel, and i am quickly learning that maybe, I'm serving him better by not saying anything at all. I will continue to update this pretty little blog as often as I can. Maybe, this will be easier. I promise, it will get prettier- the blog that is! I will be posting pictures of our family and our trip- maybe that will brighten it up! If I can ask anything of anybody- pray, I'm trying, but I am numb and vacant! But today, I humbly ask you to pray for Daniel. Please help me and our family! Lift him in prayer. Today, I ask for your words.

27 comments:

  1. Kristen,,,this is so wonderful what you are doing. I cannot get my mind off Daniel. I know everything will be ok eventually. I send all of my love to you and Daniel and those precious little one,,Ashey, Avery, and Mia. I love them dearly and I love that they call me grandma Judy. This was all so unexpected and Charles and I are still trying to comprehend that this is even real. We love all of you dearly. Charles & Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have our prayers... The girls visited with Kas and I today. Avery made Shawn put on his hat and glasses. She didn't like him without them!!! We have a play date set for tomorrow. Take care. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen,
    So glad you decided to do the blog. I know so many people will follow to check on Daniel's progress. It was really good seeing Y'all today, especially seeing Daniel feeling well. I look forward to more entries. Love you both and see you soon. -Casey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen, you, Daniel and the whole family are in our prayers. As a survivor of AML I can only tell you to allow the prayers to carry you guys. It is a long hard road ahead of you, I know, but you are both very strong. I was 30 when I was diagnosed and here I am still - there have been so many advancements - I cant say it enough - keep the faith!!! Thanks for allowing us this window into your days! Love you all! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will give y'all a break from all the phone calls. You and Daniel are in our prayers always. May God bless your family to give you the strength for the long road ahead but with his outstretched hand he will lead you. This community is praying for him to get well soon and be home.
    Lisa Earnheart

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristen, I don't know you but I've had a soft spot for Daniel since about 11 yrs ago when I was working with Toni and Daniel came in and saw me sitting at my desk, with about 5 hours of paperwork to do. He asked Toni why she didn't have my job "because I didn't doing anything". LOL
    I did talk to him briefly today when he answered Toni's phone. I told him I would put him on our prayer list and we are 400+ members strong. I will keep all of you in my prayers.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristin and Daniel,You both are in my prayers,I pray that God wraps his arms around you and guides you through your journey.Take care and God bless you and your family.Love ya,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristen, I just wanted you to know that you guys are in my prayers. I know God will take care of Daniel. He is a special person with a humbled heart. Be strong and have faith. Thank you for keeping us updated. Ashlee Carter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank You so much for this blog, we have you all in our thoughts and prayers!! We have God on our side and through him and all your family and friends you all will be taken care of!! Keep your heads high and always know you can lean on us all whenever needed!!
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  10. Daniel and Kristin,
    Just want to let you know that you all are in my thoughts and prayers. If you need anything at all, please don't hesitate to ask.
    Love you guys!!
    Bobbie, Jack, and Carly

    ReplyDelete
  11. You don't know me, but got your blog address off of Facebook. I'm a mother of a AML M2 survivor. My daughter was dx with AML in Sept of 2000 and just celebrated 10 years cancer free. I will have Daniel in my prayers along with all the family. There were times that I relied on everyone to prayer for us. I called those friends in our lives Sheltering Trees. God will hear the cries of your heart and walk this path right beside you.

    chorus:
    we all need sheltering trees
    friends in our lives who'll get down on their knees
    and lift us up before the king of kings
    we all need sheltering trees

    Anita Moore
    mother of Holly
    Sikeston MO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristin---I am so glad you have posted a blog--I have been thinking about you guys since I found out. I haven't got to know you but I have known Daniel for a very long time!!! He is like a little brother to me--we have gone on vacations together, erin and I have been friends for a long time, he was with me when I broke my arm and he also burned my clothes one time--and we had an incident in STL one time--ask Toni or Erin about our fun "treatment" time in the hotel!! I know he is a very strong person and will make it thru this--with the help from God above and certainly all the prayers from friends and family. If you need anything please let me know--I would be happy to watch the girls anytime for you--Hanna would love to play with them. I am keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers--especially you!! Tell Daniel I am thinking about him and love him to death---give Toni and Donnie a big hug for me and let Erin know I am here for her if she needs anything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Daniel and Kristin,
    So glad to see your blog so we can check in on you all. You all are in our thoughts and prayers. If you need anything please don't hesitate to ask.
    David, Amy and Ella

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kristin,
    My family and I will be praying for you all. It sometimes doesn't seem fair how drastically your life can change in what seems like a snap of a finger. You all are in our thoughts and prayers.
    Timesha Braswell Hunsperger

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kristin & Daniel
    I wanted to let you guys know that I am praying for you!
    I was wanting to let ya know that I gave Ashlyn a BIG hug and kiss on the cheek for the both of you today. We had a one on one chat today at lunch..She loves her mommy and daddy. She looked at me and said, Did you know that my daddy is in the hospital? Oh my, I fought back the tears.:(
    She is in good hands with all of us at Risco school..
    BTW, Please give Daniel a hug for me, please?
    !

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know y'all, but my prayers are with you. My 16 year old granddaughter was diagnosed with leukemia October 15,2010. She receives treatment, but I believe Prayer is more effective than any Meds. I am not opposed to Meds, as I believe God gave man the knowledge to create them for us to live a healthy life. May your body e healed and God glorified . Wendy Hamil

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kristin, I don't know you, but was told about your situation by a friend who lives in your area. I live North of you, in Park Hills, and am in the Christian Motorcyclists Association. I will get your husband and your family on both the CMA's prayer list, as well as my church prayer list. I will be keeping up with your blog. Thank you for allowing us to pray with you. Rhonda Barnett

    ReplyDelete
  18. Daddy told me your news Sunday, and I just couldn't believe it. I remember when you worked at Main Street Fitness and was all "in love" with that Risco boy! God will see you through this, and be numb and vacant right now. This is a shocker for everyone as he's so young and looks so healthy. I'll be following your blog and continuing to pray for you, Daniel and your sweet family. Cheri Fortner Harris

    ReplyDelete
  19. Daniel and Kristen,

    I just wanted to let u guys know that our prayers and thoughts are with all of you. I know Daniel and he is a wonderful friend and person and has an amazing family. I know with Gods love and his families love and prayers of many others that he will be well soon. I may not have had the pleasure of meeting u but I pray for your strenght also. We will continue u to pray for Daniel and all of his family.
    Malisa Harrison (Wilson)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Daniel and Kristen, I don't know you but I am the mother in law to a CML survivor. I will be praying for your family as you face this trial.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Daniel and Kristen, You have been on my mind since I heard about the diagnosis. You are a special family. God will be with you through all of this; don't be afraid to lean on Him. If Rick and I can help in any way,we will.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Presley family, You are all in our thoughts and prayers. We have been praying for you all week, and will continue. Remember, "His strength is perfect, when our strength is gone. He'll carry us when we can't carry on." May you be aware every moment of His perfect strength, which will get you through every trial.
    Rick and Kim Allen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Daniel & Kristen,
    I know an incredible mountain is ahead of you and I'm not sure when the last time so many hundreds of folks have all been praying for one. We're all spending time on our knees to pray Daniel back to the best of health. Daniel, you've got the most amazing heart I believe I've ever known. We Love Y'all. Let us know if there's anything at all we can do.

    Rick & Laurie Mc

    ReplyDelete
  24. It was great seeing you all Thursday. Seeing all of the support and love for Daniel was wonderful. You are blessed with all of the love that surrounds you two and the number of people just waiting to help out. Don't be afraid to rely on everyone for strength and support. You know God is the great supplier of that - but we like to help too. :) We'll be up again soon for another visit. Please be sure to let us know if you need anything. our thoughts and prayers are with you daily.
    Craig and Vonda

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, Kristen, you don't know me, but I am Micah Breece's mom. I taught at Risco for 17 years and 8 at Gideon. Erin is a very special person to me and I know that she loves you and Daniel so so much! I have been so impressed with Daniel since he has become a husband and father. Just an ideal son for anyone to have. I continue to pray for you guys everyday. I actually tried to post this at about 4:00 a.m. I couldn't sleep so I guess God decided I should just be a pray warrior for your family. Take care and I know you already know that any of us will do anything we need to do for you if you need us. Carolyn Ellsworth

    ReplyDelete
  26. Prayers going up for your precious family. God is good. Rely on Him at all times and try to remain strong through this tough battle.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Kristen I have been seeing this story about this family and just thought it was so sad for them. Today I find out it's YOUR family! Just know that tons of thoughts and prayers are coming your way for you and your precious family. I always ask Michelle how you are doing when she comes to get her hair cut. You hang in there! Cindy Manuel

    ReplyDelete