Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Change

After staying up to 10:30 p.m., waiting on the doctor to deliver the preliminary results of Daniel's bone marrow biopsy. Needless to say, the doctor never showed. Every morning, as soon as i wake up, I head down to the 5th floor to take a shower. You see, there is only one shower for 6 floors- so you can imagine what it is like to share a shower with the other family members in this building! Anyway, wouldn't you know that as soon as i left, the doctor came.

So, to the results.... There has been a change in the diagnosis. New details point toward Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. The doctor stated that this type has the same severity's what we first thought he had. This type of cancer has an 80% cure rate in youn children, without bone marrow. In older adults, it has a 40% cure rate. Now, these rates are not with a bone marrow transplant. That is always an option, given that treatment does not work.

Treatment is still yet to be determined. Since Daniel does not really fit either of the categories mentioned above, he will become part of a clinical trial. I'm not really sure what to think about this- but it is, what it is. This study, is with young adults up to age 35. He will be given the children's dosage of chemo. Apparently, children can take really strong dosages of chemo and have successful outcomes. Treatment may start today, but no later than tomorrow. They are still studying the sample to determine what treatment he will have. We want the right treatment!

My stomach is still lurching inside. I miss my children, and i know that for Daniel, being away from his babies is the hardest thin right now. Our 3 little ones miss both of us terribly. Ashlynn (our 5 year old) and Avery (our 3 year old) have some idea that theri daddy is sick, but they have no idea to what extent. As i am typing this, i delete words, and then i type again, trying to find the right words to explain what has happened, what has happened to our family, and most importantly, what has happened to Daniel. Please, if you see my children, hug them, kiss them, let them know that they are special. Mia (our almost 8 month
old) is so lost. She has no idea what is going on. We would love that. I am trying to plan a short trip home this week to visit them. More than anything, I am trying to be the best mom that I can be. It is tough! Thank you to everyone who has offered their help, kind words, and prayers. Daniel is going to win this battle. I am going to close with a quote that I found: courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know that you can lose- Tom Krause.

5 comments:

  1. Kristin, I feel for you all and you r always in my thoughts and prayers. If you need anything i will be here for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin, We are praying for you, Daniel, the girls and the entire family. We travel to St. Louis often and would love to help you in any way we can. If there is anything we could ever do please don't hesitate to contact Chris at ADI in Malden or me via facebook..We will do anything we can. Stay strong and know that you all will beat this and be back home soon. Sincerely, Chris, Kelli and Drake Channell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin,
    I haven't seen you since Junior High!! I can't beleive so much time has passed.
    I am truly sorry that your family is having to go through this. You have been in my thoughts and prayers non-stop.
    I wish nothing but the best for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristin,Sometimes our words just don't come out like our hearts feel them.I felt your heart in every word of your blogs.The journey you and your family are traveling on right now is like one long emotional roller coaster ride.I pray that your ups are more plentiful than your downs and that with each valley you become stronger and more prepared for each new day.My entire family is praying for you.Hugs and love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristin, I don't know you but I work for your Mom. I just wanted to let you know that all of you are in my thoughts and prayers. Two years ago my husband had a seizure and mini stroke. The doctors told me I'd never see the man I knew and loved.....They were wrong. It's not in their hands. I have learned with God all things are possible. I would like to share a bible verse that has helped me. Isaiah 41:10 Fear not for I am with thee: Be not dismayed; for I am thy God. I will strengthen thee; yea I will help thee; yea I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. What more can we ask. Victoria

    ReplyDelete