Monday, June 27, 2011

Round 2. Day 1

When Daniel and I dated in college, he meant the absolute world to me. The world revolved around him and nothing else mattered. When he asked me to marry him, I thought that I was the luckiest girl around. Ask my closest friends, and they would tell you the same thing! We lived our life, had fun, and got married and had our children, young. Last year, after I delivered Mia, we decided that our family was complete. Even though, I dreamed of having a little boy, so badly, we knew that for my health, it was the best thing. I did not have one healthy pregnancy. Each one, was complicated in itself. Actually, I had to talk Daniel into conceiving Mia. He actually wanted to wait another year. We are so glad that we conceived her when we did.  Actually, someone must have been looking out for us! Today, Daniel and I have been married nearly 6 years- whoa! It sure doesn't seem like it. Looking back on that day, it was beautiful, but, was it ever hot! It wasn't the fairytale wedding that most girls would dream about, but, that wasn't what I wanted, to begin with. Most weddings today, are much more extravagant. That day, when we said our vows - that went something like this : I do to good times. For richer or poorer. For good times and bad. And, for sickness and in health. I do. I made a promise to myself. My promise is that I would never provide my children with a "broken" family. I grew up in one, and I would never want my children to go through the things that I did. That was the absolute most powerful thing that I could ever do. At that point, not a one person could have predicted the future for us. Since then, we have been trying to figure out our way in the world, we have worked hard, had fun, and are learning how to be the best parents and raise our girls' to be respectable young ladies. We have laughed, we have cried, there have been fights, and We have celebrated. There have been years that seem like they have flown by... There has been lots of "liven". And there are many moments, that I will forever cherish! Today, there aren't cinderella dresses or tuxedos, but, there is a whole lot of love, and support. There have been many victories celebrated, but, the biggest one of all, is that this cancer thing- it will probably be the biggest victory that we have ever celebrated. And, I am so ready! 

I try to stay positive, about the whole situation. I am annoying myself by thinking about it so much! There are too many "what if's". it makes me tired. Today, I delivered some paperwork to Daniel's Nurse Coordinator. Everything that we sign, every bit of it, states that treatment will last "x" amount of months or years, or until death. It scares me. These are very much like contracts, you sign your life away! This was the first time that I have spoken to her by
myself. Of course, I had many questions. I explained to her that my biggest fear is raising my children by myself. It is a thought, that seems so un- imaginable to me. She assured me that people like Daniel, go on to live perfectly normal lives, and that, is not going to be the case with us! In my mind, I am trying to work through every possible scenario that I can- and it is tough. The coordinator explained to me how lucky Daniel really is. Although we have not had a confirmed response from the potential donor, Daniel has 3 perfect matches for the bone marrow transplant. Most people, do not even have 1. Daniel has 3! Lucky guy! Most of the time, people are transplanted with 7 out of 10, or 8 out of 10 of what they are looking for. Daniel, is also in very good health, unlike most. There are far more successes than not! Promise. No worries. Daniel and I both believe that with a positive outlook and a whole lot of prayers, he will conquer this disease.

Y'all are probably wondering why there has been so much lag time with a blog post. Daniel was slated to begin round 2 of treatment on Friday, June 24. Literally, two hours before we were set to leave, we get a phone call that told us to wait until Monday, because there was not a room available for him. So, we got a few extra days to soak up all of the energy of the Presley girls'. Love those girls! I spent the day with some of my "extended family" at the river, or as Avery says "wiver". She is so stinking cute! Today, we started with labs at 6:45 a.m. He just now, got admitted to his room! The first room that was supposed to be his, the gentleman, leaving it, crashed on the way out. Good thing we didn't get that room! Anyway, he had his first treatment this morning, next one, I'll be tonight. So far, he is feeling good. He will receive 2 treatments a day on days 3, and 5. Hopefully, we will go home immediately following treatment. His counts will be low, so infection risk, will be higher. So far, everything is going good with him. He is on a different floor, and he isn't impressed, thus far. We keep thinking... 5 days!

Hopefully, we will know a little more about the donor. Good night, folks!xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment