Sunday, August 19, 2012

Weekend Wrap-Up


“ My mother had a good deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it.”
                                                Mark Twain, chapters from my autobiography


Saw this quote and immediately thought of Mia. I have no idea what it is, but the kid is definitely at her terrible twos, and has been for a while. The sad thing is that… One, her birthday isn’t until September 7th, Two, she is so darn cute.

Today, I am treading water. Classes begin tomorrow. I transcribed my class calendar and clinical rotation schedule into my planner and immediately realized that for the next 16 or so weeks, my life is pretty much nursing. This afternoon, I cleaned, did every bit of dirty and “could be dirty” laundry, and tried to get my mind in sync with conquering the next several weeks. However, Mia had other plans. Like eating. Coloring on the walls with a sharpie. Wanting to play. You know, have attention bestowed upon her. The nerve, right?

How did I end up with 3 very noisy kids? When I am so noise adverse? Is that just the way it works?

Moving on for a quick weekend re-cap.

Aren’t the things in life the ones that you have to work the hardest for? The ones that challenge you, surprise you? That is what nursing school has been for me. Not just a challenge, but also an outlet for me to be me, move on, and it has placed some of the greatest people in my life in which, I would have never, ever met.

Saturday, I received a letter in the mail from the Endowment Trust of the college in which I attend, in which congratulated on me as the recipient of an anonymous donation that would cover a huge amount of my tuition for the Fall 2012 semester. I am continually amazed at the kindness and generosity of the many people that have rallied around my family during the times in which we most needed it.

Thank you to those of you who have supported me and an idea that was once was a crazy idea. You all have helped me turn it into… a beautiful idea. To the individual/ individuals that made my fall tuition a little bit easier, I want to give you a huge Thank-You from the very bottom of my heart. Never in a million years would I have ever thought someone would think that much of me or believe in me!  

We attended the 19th Blood and Bone Marrow Celebration last night in St. Louis. Once we entered the ballroom in which it was located, both of us kind of stopped in our foot tracks as we tried really hard to find two empty seats. We were definitely newbies at this event. Luckily, a really nice lady invited us to grab two seats at their table. The venue was packed full of 900+ people! After dinner, the presentation quickly got under way. The speakers were absolutely moving! It is so beautiful to see people like Daniel, functioning so well. The most moving part of the celebration was when Dr. DiPersio mentioned in closing remarks that he was going to be raffling off 2 round-trip tickets to a member of the audience. Then, he spoke of a woman from Memphis, TN, and preceded to bring her up on the stage, spoke about her and then, out of nowhere, brought her donor into the room, for her to meet for the very first time. All the way from Germany. For the event, he learned to speak a very small amount of English- just enough to say how happy he was to fulfill the dreams and future for that very woman. There was not a dry eye in the room- promise. Lucky gal, she is. I yearn for the day that we may one-day find out more about the remarkable gentleman that saved Daniels’ life. It was a phenomenal event!

There is never a moment that I don’t count each and every single one of mine/ our blessings. It is events like this that remind you that being able to spend a long and happy life with your family is a true treasure. And unfortunately, for some, their lives are cut WAY too short.

It really just makes you realize the important things in life.

I am closing with a remark from Dr. DiPersio’s speech last night. Ashlynn spent many years watching Barney! Luckily, my other 2 children did not take to the big purple guy like she did. However, Dr. DiPersio spoke about a song from the show. Here are the lyrics:
            Everything’s better with a friend like you.
            Everything’s better with a friends like you.
Playing. Pretending. Whatever we do.
It's better with a friend like you.

XOXO Kristin



No comments:

Post a Comment